Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Consistency Is The Key To Fitness


That's right.

Consistency is the key to achieve your fitness goals. 

I have been working out for about 10 years now. In that length of time, I think I only stopped training for about 6 months, at a time where I was having personal issues (and I regret for having stopped!).

My tastes have changed with time.
In the beginning, I was a bodybuilding fanatic, and I used to train at the gym 4-5 days a week, no matter what.


Then, for some time, it was martial arts, and I was very serious about that too. I would never miss a class.

In the last 3+ years it has been running and endurance sports, and I haven't stopped for more than a week, during a time where I was dealing with an injury.

If you look to improve your fitness level, lose weight, gain muscle and be healthy, you have to be CONSISTENT with your training and diet.

I laugh at people who eat junk food and don't train during the year and then, a couple of weeks / months before summer, they sign up at a gym to try to make up for the rest of the year that they didn't do anything.
Yes, some people get some nice results, but as they come, they go, when the hot weather ends.

I suppose most of us want permanent results. We want to look good and feel good every day of the year, every year. Because of that, we have to be consistent with our healthy lifestyle.

Being consistent doesn't mean training like crazy every single day either. Being moderately active most days of the week should be enough for most people to achieve their goals.

Besides, there are many ways of "working out". You just have to find the way that you enjoy the most.
That could be lifting weights, yoga, running, cycling, hiking, swimming, dancing, playing tennis, football, etc.

I like the idea of replacing the notion of "working out" for "play".
When we are active doing the things that we like to do, we surely don't feel like we are working out, but just having fun!




No comments:

Post a Comment